In this lot is a collection of four early 1900's kerosene oil lamps with glass chimneys, one extra oil base, and one extra chimney made by Regal that is 12" tall with a 3" base. The first modern kerosene lamp was invented by Polish inventor Ignacy Lukasiewicz in 1856. At the same time, American businessman Robert Dietz and his brother patented the first functional flat wick burner that was specially designed for kerosene. Though Thomas Edison invented the light bulb in 1879, only half of all homes in the United States had electric power by 1925. Kerosene slowly took the backseat to electricity over the course of several decades. Two of the lamps have burners with the name Eagle on them; one lamp has a burner with Queen Anne and one bears no maker’s mark. There is one extra oil base that does not have a burner attached and one extra chimney. One lamp has a base that has a gold tint to the glass. One lamp has brass rings and is on a square metal base. One lamp has the base glass beginning to turn purple with age—glass made with manganese dioxide will turn purple with time and exposure to ultra-violet rays of the sun. These four lamps are functional, as well as nostalgic. These lamps and parts are all in good condition. The lamps measure from 22" to 17" tall and 7" to 6" across the base.