Featured in this lot we have a rare large map of Missoula Montana, 1891. Compiled and drawn by Kennedy & Powell Civil and mining engineers in Missoula, engraved by J.L. Smith, Philadelphia, PA. (as written on lower right corner). This map was used as advertising titled, "Compliments of McConnell, Cook & Co. Real Estate & Financial Agents, Cor. Higgins Avenue and Main Street, Missoula, Mont,". The map shows each road in the city at the time as well as the block numbers, names of neighborhood additions, and uses the former name of the Clark Fork River, Missoula River, which flows through the middle of the city. Also shown are the rail tracks for the now defunct Missoula & Bitter Root Valley Railway which was first punched into the valley when silver was discovered in the mountains near what is today the town of Victor. The first inhabitants of the Missoula area were American Indians from the Salish tribe. They called the area "Nemissoolatakoo," from which "Missoula" is derived. The word translates roughly to "river of ambush/surprise," a reflection of the inter-tribal fighting common to the area. Missoula became a trading center in earnest, distributing produce and grain grown in the agriculturally prosperous Bitterroot Valley. The city's success was aided by two other factors. First was the opening of the University of Montana in September 1895, serving as the center of public higher education for Western Montana. Then, in 1908, Missoula became a regional headquarters for the Forest Service, which began training smokejumpers in 1942. The Aerial Fire Depot was built in 1954, and big industry came to Missoula in 1956, with the groundbreaking for the first pulp mill.
The map is in overall good condition for its age, many tears have been taped, slight tears on edges and seams, engraving print is clear and not faded, foxing is noted throughout, spillage staining. Measures open 32.75"L x 30.75"W, folded 9"L x 8"W